Heading

Theorize Color* Blog

Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

End of the Year

It's that time again, the end of yet another year, and I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their support and friendship. There has been many ups and downs in my life this year and each one makes me who I am. With the sudden loss of my grandfather a few weeks ago, then the loss of a friend,   I have been in my own little world. Getting through it one day at a time and leaning heavily on my family. Each day is a little easier and I'm finding my way back to art. I know a lot of artist use their sadness as a driving force to create but for me, it becomes a mental block. That's not to say that I haven't tried putting that sadness on the pages of a sketchbook, but I lack the courage to take it somewhere else; To really put it out there for the world to see. That's something I'm not very good at and often times come up short when I do try. Maybe it's fear or because in the end, does anyone really care? So I move forward and focus on things that mean the most.

I'm sure many would think that art is at the top of that list. Truth be told, to say it's top 10 would be a lie even though I wish it were. Art is something that gets pushed to the side when life takes over. It's never been the reason I breathe or get out of bed in the morning. It's more like an old friend that I sit and visit with every so often.

What does matter the most is my family. They are my rocks in this world. Keeping me grounded and letting me know when I'm slightly "off my rocker". My husband, of course, is the best at letting me know when I'm a bit manic. I truly believe he is the reason my heart beats and is my biggest supporter and fan. Art can be a selfish relationship and never once has he complained. In fact, he encourages me to do more. If only I would listen.

I guess all of this rambling needs to get to a point eventually. In honor of all the loved ones I've lost over the years and to all of the loved ones that are still with me, I promise to remember you in every brush stroke I put down. That's probably the best reason I have to create art. For them, for me, for healing and growing. For evolving.

And here's a commissioned piece I did for a client. In memory of the pets he's lost and the one he still holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment